It has come to my attention, thanks to rueters, yahoo, google, msn, cnn, and rick reilly, that the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service will be adding one second to 2008 tonight, just before midnight. This addendum to 2008 will “fix” what time-scientists believe is an unacceptable gap between our current time and the slowing rotation of the earth about its axis. Now, Im all for science, and fixing things…but you would think, if you were adding just one second to a whole year, you would maybe pick a less conspicuous time to do it. New Year’s Eve is really the only time all year that people around the world are actually paying attention to every second that goes by..why not just sneak it in at 3:15 am on June 12th?…no one would even notice.
(‘3..2..1..1..Happy New Year!’)
Joe Dude (my main roommate and science answer guy) proposes that the IERaRSS is using this ‘extra-second’ bit to garner some global attention…I mean, let’s face it.. International Timekeeper isn’t exactly the flashiest job in the science field. Maybe this midnight modification, coupled with their new slogan “We Control the Time” will help the International Service turn the corner…but I wouldn’t count on it..
I know there are a lot of good Christmas movies out there..National Lampoon’s, Elf, A Charlie Brown Christmas, even the old timey It’s a Wonderful Life…but the greatest Christmas movie of all time, is without a doubt, A Christmas Story. You may not believe me, and if that’s the case, then I don’t believe you not believing me. In order to prove its greatness, I’ve compiled the following (abridged) list to detail exactly what sets A Christmas Story apart from all of those other Christmas bits..
1. The Narrator- All the best movies have narrators, (Shawshank, Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Fight Club)…and Ralphie is the best narrator of them all.
2. The Ridiculous Sibling- Randy is the greatest movie sibling ever…and he says stuff like “Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf.” ..what?
3. The Major Award – Honestly, everything about the leglamp is awesome…Ralphie’s Dad can’t get enough of it, his mom detests it, and I think Ralphie has a crush on it.
4. The Fight – Scott Farkus deserved it, and the onlookers reactions are hysterical…
5. The Outlaw – Anytime you can mix a cowboy into a movie, it’s a good idea…plus, Black Bart was a real gunslinger..who knew?
6. The Christmas Presents – Oh, like you never got anything ridiculous for Christmas.
7. The End – That’s right, the end of the movie is good too. Most movies have trouble with the end, but this one is spot on.
I think that about covers it. If you don’t like this movie, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Some baseball types think a double play is a pitcher’s best friend. I respectfully disagree. Having Nick Punto on your team, making highlight reel plays everyday is a pitcher’s best friend. How’s that.
The Pittsburgh Steelers looked like a Super Bowl XLIII favorite on Sunday, coming from behind to knock off Tony Romo and the Dallas Cowboys at
Heinz Hines Field. On behalf of Steelers fans around the world, I’d like to thank Dallas for coming to the City of Champions, and wish them a safe flight home.